Your New Student Life Advisor




Hello Arts Students and Fans out there, my name is Avala Moore and I am the new Student Life Advisor for the Faculty of Arts. I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself and tell you a little bit about my story.


I am a graduate of Ryerson and the Faculty of Arts. Three years ago I was walking across the Ryerson Theatre stage myself and being handed my Bachelor of Arts degree from Arts and Contemporary Studies. I came to Ryerson, originally, for the Interior Design program but I realized, after two years, that RSID was not where I belonged. I transferred over to ACS and found my place. I was on my course union, I was a volunteer and I even worked as the Student Life Assistant in the Student Experience Center. After I graduated, I went to U of T for my Master's. I am still there during the school year studying away and struggling with the same deadlines and finals that we all struggle with.



After my first semester away, I really missed Ryerson! I ended up coming back and working on the Central Orientation Team for the summer just so that I could still be a part of the Ryerson world. That was one of the best summers ever, as I was able to reconnect with Ryerson and the staff and students who were a part of it.


Skip ahead 2 years, and here we are! I'm back in the Student Experience Center planning Arts Enrollment and Orientation for 2015. When I was a first year ACS student, I remember saying to myself, "I want that job where you get to plan Orientation and you get to be that person who first year students can connect with!"... And now I'm here! I am so excited to be a part of Ryerson again and to be back in the Faculty of Arts. I hope that I get to meet all of you either through enrollment and orientation, through campus events or over social media, or even just from a friendly visit to my office if you want to say hello (POD 344M).


Ryerson and the Faculty of Arts has so many opportunities for student involvement and I encourage you all to get involved! Orientation was where I first got involved and now I'm planning it for my job! Some of my friends who also got involved with Enrollment and Orientation hold positions in the Ryerson Student Life office or the FCAD offices. Some are travelling the world and seeing new places. Some are taking their Master's at various universities in Canada and beyond. No matter what they are doing, starting by getting involved in orientation and in the Faculty of Arts helped them get there. So, don't overlook the opportunities that are available to you here at Ryerson and in the Faculty of Arts. They can be a launching pad into great educational and employment opportunities. I know they were for me!



To get involved, e-mail avala.moore@arts.ryerson.ca

Comments

Popular Posts