Meet the new bloggers!

Hello, my name is Laura.

Check out my very first vblog post in which I stumble over my words trying to introduce myself and win you over as your new faithful Art of Life blogger!


video

Phew.
Now that we are acquainted, we can get down to business!

Interested in volunteering for Faculty of Arts Orientation 2010? Yes? Maybe? Not sure? Well let me work my magic to convince you that it will be well worth your while. How will I do this? Obviously I'll use my mind-reading skills to predict the questions you might have...prepare to be amazed:

"Well...What will I be doing?"

You can do a number of things! The first event we need volunteers for is our Enrollment Workshop where you will be working one-on-one with first years from your program to help them pick their classes as well as helping to lead ice-breaker activities. Next is Orientation where you can do one of two things: logistics, or leadership. Those in the logistics group will be assisting with the set-up and take down of the days activities, and is geared towards those who want to be involved with Orientation, but don't feel comfortable being a team leader. Those in the leadership group will be leading a group of first year students (about 20) throughout the day. In this group you will lead small campus tours and facilitate ice breakers and games. Everyone will also be attending the Academic Orientation and facilitating group discussion within their program's orientation.

"What do I get out of it?"
First things first, you will have fun! Orientation is a day that's full of energy and you get to be a part of creating a sense of community and belonging within the Faculty of Arts. You will develop your leadership skills by putting them into practise, and motivate first years to develop lasting friendships with others in their groups. You also get to meet lots of new people from within the Faculty of Arts that are involved with many other projects. It's a great way to network! And finally, you get first years excited about being a part of the Faculty of Arts!

"Do I get paid?"

No! But you do get a free lunch and free new friendships!

"How much of a time commitment will this be?"
There will be a two hour training at the beginning of August. You will also be encouraged to go to the ROC (Ryerson Orientation Crew) training which takes place during the second weekend in August, however if you are unable to attend the ROC training, there will be an afternoon of training during the fourth week of August.

"Laura and Julea seem really cool, do I get to hangout with them if I volunteer?"

Heck yes! If you volunteer, Julea and I will be forever indebted to you and will be your life-long buddies! Over the summer we will be having some fun, low-key pre-orientation events that all volunteers are encouraged to attend, so we can all get to know each other! Now that's reason enough to volunteer, isn't it?
Contact Julea to sign up!
Julea Campbell, stulife@arts.ryerson.ca
If you're an incoming student, and have any questions at all, contact me!
Laura Hache, facescom@arts.ryerson.ca and add me on facebook! Search "Laura at Ryerson"
Later Days,
Laura



Comments

Popular Posts