Career Seedlings: Student Advocate


This is a little segment I like to call Career Seedlings. Ryerson has multiple opportunities where students can get involved in their community or field of interest, and I want to highlight that. Some of these individuals have taken one stop closer to their dream job by taking initiative. Here are some of their stories.

Kaitlyn Lubniewski: Student Advocate

Kaitlyn is a third year student in the Faculty of Arts, working as a Student Advocate through CESAR (Continuing Educations Student Associate at Ryerson).

What exactly does a student advocate do?

I guide students through academic policies and procedures to make sure they're not taken advantage of. Mainly I provide services relating to academic appeals, and grades standing. If students are accused of academic misconduct (cheating, plagiarism) they come to me for advice.

Why is what you do important?

School policies can be confusing. Students might end up calling several different people to get the answers they need. A student advocate is someone that is on your side, and will work with you. We help defend those who might not be sure what their rights are in the realm of university.

Where would you like your career to go, and how will this current position help?

I'm currently exploring art therapy or marriage counseling as possibly future jobs. Being a student advocate is a huge push in the right direction for me. Like therapy and counseling, it's all about listening to people, and finding the best way to help them.

How do you juggle working this job, and taking school simultaneously?
I get to help people everyday before I'm even done my undergrad degree. It's something I'm passionate about. And it still leaves me plenty of time to do well in school.

Any advice you'd give to students who might need the assistance of a student advocate one day?
Don't mess around. Look over your policies carefully. Your academic life and your career are closely connected. You don't want to take any risks in that sense.

Kaitlyn is a third year ASC student, pursuing the general ACS option. She is involved in multiple school events, including 'Drop Fees' through CESAR.

- gint

Comments

Popular Posts